Sunday, June 14, 2015

Changing Environments

Tobacco Caye Island

Today we left the Nu'uk Chei'l cottages for Tobacco Caye island. We drove for about thirty minutes to the city where we then hopped on a boat and rode across the sea for another thirty minutes. Tobacco Caye is a minuscule island, consisting of about 20 people, not including our group. It was such a big change from the Nu'uk Chei'l cottages, as we went from a cultural environment surrounded by the jungle, to an island surrounded by bright blue water and serenity. After the group got settled, we had a snorkeling lesson, which prepared us for later on when we went night snorkeling, where I of course managed to get stung by a jelly fish.


Because this was my first time snorkeling, I was partially freaked out. I mean breathing underwater? Being a swimmer, this was one of the strangest things in the world. But I was also very excited.


During the night snorkel, I saw a huge variety of sea life, including sting rays, eels, and bio-illuminant fish. This was one of the best experiences I have had in my lifetime, and I was glad that I could share it with my friends.


                                                                                                                                                                    Dear Mom and Dad,

I hope all is well back in Maryland and I want you guys to know that I am perfectly fine on this amazing island surrounded by CLEAR WATER! The food here is so far really good.

Can't wait to see you soon!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment