Saturday, June 13, 2015

TheTrue Meaning of Wealth







Today was our last day on site at St. Jude's school. We said our last goodbyes and will carry all the memories forward as we had a great time there. In the classroom today I translated an entire science exam to the students who only spoke Spanish. Once it was recess time I was reunited with some of the kids who I have made bonds with over the last couple days, in particular a little girl named Surima. Surima exhibited extreme kindness to me ever since the day we started working at the school. She came out running to me on the the first day when she saw I was struggling with moving heavy cinder blocks saying "Can I help you miss?" with open arms. Ever since, Surima always came to find me to share something, whether it was an awesome grade on her exam or a bird nest with a tiny egg that she found.

Surima has led me to realize the true definition of wealth: wealth is about the people you meet, the friends you gain, and the the memories you make. Seeing these children who have less than me who manage to be exceedingly happy makes me understand that they possess a different type of wealth that is way more powerful than any amount money in the world.

Hi Mommy, Daddy, Paloma, and Nico

I'm having a great time and miss you guys a lot I can't wait to tell you about Belize.

See you soon,
Carolina

1 comment: